jueves, 24 de marzo de 2011

Eurail Adventure - Day 1 - San Sebastian, Spain

Hello dear readers! I had no idea that people would read this, but it makes me very happy that you do. :)

Today was day one of my adventure on the trains of Europe. Armed with my Eurail Pass my mother gave me for my graduation present(thank you, mom) I set off for the train station at 7am. I hopped on the train and we set off at exactly 8am. 4 naps and 5 hours later I arrived in San Sebastian. It was actually nice out. A little overcast but for the most part sunny and a beautiful 16 centigrade. It took about a half our to walk from the train station to the hostel but I found it pretty easily and after checking in, set out to find some food. I hadnt eaten since 7 30am and you know how I get when I dont eat...

I found a pintxo bar in my street called Ganadarias. First, I should maybe explain what a pintxo is. A pintxo is like tapas but sort of the Basque Country version of it, spelled with their favorite letter combination, "tx". I tried two pintxos for a total of 4€. They were incredible. The first, a Solomillo, which is sirloin. It was the most tender and very rare and delicious slice of meat ive had in a while. This was followed by a brocheta with shrimp and bacon and some really fresh onions and peppers and flavors i cant describe. Yum! I was a happy happy girl.

I took a few hours and walked around the town sort of aimlessly. Walked alng the beach and saw breath taking views. I hadnt seen water nor beaches in a while so i took off my shoes and walked a mile along the beach. After my journey I went home and took a siesta until dinner where I again enjoyed pintxos, this time salmon, croquetas, and some identifiable meat called basatxerri (letter combination! Euskera would kick ass at scrabble!). I enjoyed a basque favorite, cider and then had some Ferraro Rocher gelato on the bridge looking back into the lovely city of San Sebastian.

All in all I would say I had a lovely first day in San Sebastian. The hostel is cute, with s great location and a very helpful receptionist. Tonight I will plan out my day tomorrow and start figuring out how to get to destination number two, Toulouse, France.

I'm going to put up pictures on facebook. I can't add pictures to my blog with my iPad. Sometim technology doesn't make sense...

Anyways, there will definitely more to come... Wish you were here enjoying this with me.

1 comentario:

  1. Isn't it great to see the water when it's been awhile? Especially when you've grown up near a river or sea. It's almost a relief. San Seb. sounds lovely!

    ResponderEliminar